Adventures on the water...




The last few months I've been trying to think of different was of creating adventure and exploring new ground and just generally doing something new. After a recent great spell of weather I got out my trusty inflatable kayak... or so I thought. A quick paddle down the canal and the word trusty wasn't so trusting after all... holes holes and more holes, quickly followed by a wet bum!

Knowing the good spell of weather was here to stay I really wanted a kayak that actually floated so out with the phone and on to the DoneDeal app I went, BOOM after only an hour searching I came across a nice little one only 10 minutes from my house. A quick exchange of a few 50's and it wasn't long until I was floating down the canal with the pup by my side happy as Larry.


Given that the canal is only 2 minutes from my home its always an easy place to come to and just chill out enjoying the nature around, listening to the birds and watching the hundreds of fish swim freely below me. The shot above is a shot I love both when in the water and out of the water on the banks of the canal with the camera... When the sun lines up and the water is clear and still, the reflections are magical. Right beside this canal is a Restaurant called The Hanged Mans, they do unbelievable food and the fried potato skins are simply amazing!


Out of the canal and into a huge lake, Lough Lene in County Westmeath. The plan... a swift 4km paddle to an island in the middle of the lake. The paddle out we were against the breeze and the water was a little choppy, the weather was amazing and there was barely a cloud in the sky and the closer it got to sunset the more the lake calmed and the breeze died. About half way out I decided to put my hands into the water to give them a rinse, to my surprise the water was literally luck warm. I didn't need a second invitation to strip down to the shorts and jump out of the kayak for a swim... IT WAS AMAZING, definitely the warmest water in Ireland I had ever been in.

Making our way back as the sun was setting was just pure class, although I'd have liked a little more cloud it was still spectaluar and as you can from the set above there was a little cloud with a hint of colour... definitely the perfect end to a perfect day and (maybe one or two more little bits of swimming).


So far of all the little adventures with the kayak, last Mondays adventure has been by far the best in terms of exploring new ground. Four hours of paddling along rugged cliffs along Irelands Ancient East coastline. We saw epic cliffs, countless Seals and we were absolutely spoilt for choice with Sea Cave after Sea Cave, some up to 100 metres long. Above is one of the shots from Monday in one of the many caves we got into, when doing things like this you should always check weather, winds and tides. We got here just as the tide was going out and we knew what time high tide would return, this allowed us the most amount of time to explore while tide was low and my god was it worth it. This shot was taken in the first cave we entered which had two entrances (one which we were standing in shooting and the other to the left around the corner) you can see the natural light coming in from left entrance lighting up to two kayaks which we had resting on a little sandy beach at the back of the cave...JUST HEAVEN.

Theres definitely more trips to be made here...

Have a great day folks.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Under arctic light

The Dolomites, a photographers paradise.