A look back at our first 5 Isle of Skye tours of 2017

ISLE OF SKYE TOURS 2017

So 5 tours to the Isle of Skye done this year and one to go, but sadly have to wait till September for that. I thought i'd do a quick summary on how the first 5 trips went, all the same trips but all so different. We had everything from wind, rain, sun and snow to sun burn and close to frost bitten hands (lol). The Isle of Skye to me is such an amazing place and to show you the different types of weather we got throughout the tours i'll post a number of images from all 5 tours in the blog.



The above shot is from the first Skye tour of the year...A frantic race to the Old Man of Storr viewing point for sunrise was tough due to the early(ish) sunrise so we had to give ourselves a good hour to get to the top, although a relatively short hike it is quite steep. As we walked closer and closer the sky started to fill with colour, then BOOM... A gap in the clouds allowed to to get this epic sunburst. Can you see one of my clients standing down in the valley??




Forward 2 weeks later to the same location, again for sunrise only a little earlier than the previous trip... Just look at the difference a couple of weeks makes, this is the Old Man of Storr from the opposite side. This time going for some sidelight and if you can see me pulling my best power stance in the distance. For this particular shot i had to set the camera to 1 minute timer the LEG IT, POSE AND BACK AGAIN, I go to view the shot and guess what? 1 minute timer wasn't enough I was clearly too slow... So 2 minute timer was set and the process was repeated. I made my way back nervously and out of breath but thankfully I nailed it.




Just one week later I returned with another group, you might think "I must be sick of this place"... If you are thinking that, the answer is NO WAY!! If you love photography, hiking or just the good old outdoors you couldn't possibly get sick of here but there is one thing that really keeps the fire in the belly burning and thats the look of my clients faces when they see Skye for the first time, its magical.
The particular shot above is a shot of Quiraing I've been after for a few years now but had been unable to get "The Shot"due to bad weather and poor light. When I stood here and could see the beams of light whizzing across the land I knew this was it, this was the shot!




Its been 5 weeks since the first Skye trip and sunrise has gone from 8am all the way back to 6.30am,Which also means sunset has got even later so more time shooting, less time sleeping. The shot above is a sunrise at Cleat, just beside Quiraing. The sun is well out of frame but one advantage is in the right conditions is the epic sidelight you get from the hills in the distance. The lone tree really adds something to the foreground and although this is a much photographed composition it's definitely one of my favourites. Ive since printed this on Fine Art Paper and I have to say I love it even more now.




Although alot of photography is about the right light and getting beautiful colours, sometimes a cloudy overcast day just suits a particular place... Take this shot from the Fairy Pools, could you imagine this place any other way? Personally I couldn't imagine shooting the Fairy Pools in any other way than with a cloudy, moody sky. This shot taken from the most recent tour really did deliver with the weather and the company (like all the tours thankfully) I really was blessed to have such wonderful clients across the board. Theres one thing that makes me sad about this trip and that is that I have to wait until September to come back with my next group... I will be counting the days no doubt.

If you would be interested in joining us on our 2018 Isle of Skye tours check the link below for full info and don't hesiste to ask any questions regarding the 2018 trips

https://www.bglandscapetours.ie/Home/tourDetails?tourID=5

https://www.bglandscapetours.ie/Home/tourDetails?tourID=10

Until next time, Sayanara.

Bernard.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Under arctic light

The Dolomites, a photographers paradise.